Deutschland Plus Berliner luft
High tech against air pollution - CityTrees!
More than half of humanity lives in cities - and the trend is rising. Cities are clearly the living space of the future.
And nevertheless, our most important resource, the air we breathe, is so polluted in cities that breathing is
detrimental to health.
The lack of fresh cool air in the city is felt most acutely on hot afternoons. The high levels of particulate matter
caused by after-work traffic and the heat islands that occur due to the combination of a lack of shade and strong sunlight have serious health implications. Children, the elderly and the pre-diseased are hit hardest by these environmental influences, as they are particularly susceptible to lung diseases and overheating.
The solution from nature
Moss has the natural property to bind and metabolize fine dust. In addition, mosses cool the ambient air by evaporating water on their enormously large leaf surface. These capabilities can be optimally used to locally
improve air quality and make moss a sustainable regenerative fine dust filter with a cooling effect. Green City
Solutions brings nature back to the city and ensures the well-being of mosses and people with its technologies.
In CityTree, Dresden-based Green City Solutions combines the natural capabilities of moss with state-of-the-art
Internet of Things sensor technology and active ventilation and irrigation technology. The combination of these technologies not only ensures the survival of mosses outside their natural habitat, but additionally optimizes their cooling and filtering effect on the environment. The built-in IoT sensor technology generates enormous amounts
of data in real time, which is made visible through a specially developed online dashboard. The data provides extensive information about the environmental performance and condition of the bio-filters. In addition,
information about the environmental situation and air quality is available. This makes it possible at any time to quantitatively demonstrate the environmental performance of a single - or even several - bio-filters.
Infos zum City Tree auf YouTube
What makes CityTree so exciting?
- The CityTree can reduce fine dust pollution in its immediate vicinity by up to 53%.
- The CityTree filters 3500 m3 of air every hour, which corresponds to the hourly breathing volume of approx. 7000 people.
- The CityTree can cool the temperature in its immediate vicinity by up to 2.5 ° C on warm days.
Facts about the project
- Project type: Combined carbon offset project
- Project name: Deutschland plus Berliner Luft
- Location: Berlin and international (depending on chosen carbon offset project)
- Standard: certified natural forest afforestation, Gold Standard, VCS, CCB (depending on chosen carbon offset project)
- additional fee: 5 euros per certificate are collected for the purchase of a CityTree in Berlin